Books Should Be Free is now
Loyal Books
Free Public Domain Audiobooks & eBook Downloads
Search by: Title, Author or Keyword

The Dukeries   By: (1868-1917)

Book cover

First Page:

[Illustration: THE PRIORY GATEWAY, WORKSOP]

THE DUKERIES

Described by R. Murray Gilchrist

Pictured by E. W. Haslehust

[Illustration]

BLACKIE AND SON LIMITED LONDON GLASGOW AND BOMBAY 1913

~Beautiful England~ Volumes Ready OXFORD THE CORNISH RIVIERA THE ENGLISH LAKES DICKENS LAND CANTERBURY WINCHESTER SHAKESPEARE LAND THE ISLE OF WIGHT THE THAMES CHESTER WINDSOR CASTLE YORK CAMBRIDGE THE NEW FOREST NORWICH AND THE BROADS HAMPTON COURT THE HEART OF WESSEX EXETER THE PEAK DISTRICT HEREFORD THE DUKERIES Uniform with this Series ~Beautiful Ireland~ LEINSTER MUNSTER ULSTER CONNAUGHT

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS

Page

The Priory Gateway, Worksop Frontispiece

Worksop Manor 8

Robin Hood's Larder 14

The Major Oak, Thoresby Park 20

The Beech Avenue, Thoresby 26

Welbeck Abbey 32

Clumber 36

Thoresby 42

Ollerton 48

Rufford Abbey 52

The Japanese Garden, Rufford Abbey 56

Edwinstowe 60

[Illustration: THE DUKERIES]

WORKSOP AND THE MANOR

Although within the last twenty five years Worksop has suffered many changes, unfortunate enough from an ├Žsthetic point of view, the Dukeries end of the principal street still suggests the comfortable market town in the neighbourhood of folk of quality. The only relic of notable antiquity is the quaint inn, known as the Old Ship a building with projecting upper story and carved oaken beams that might have been transported from Chester.

The twin towered Priory Church, a gatehouse of singular interest, and some slight, gracefully proportioned ecclesiastical ruins are the main features of interest. The Priory was founded by William de Lovetot, and used by the canons of the order of St. Augustine. Great men were buried there, notably several chiefs of the Furnival family, who had for town residence Furnival's Inn in Holborn. The interior of the church contains some excellent round and octagonal pillars, and one or two ancient effigies. The walls are coated with stucco, which detracts considerably from the beauty of this handsomely proportioned building. One of the most interesting things to be seen is a piece of a human skull, pierced with an arrowhead. This hangs to the left of the doorway by which the vestry is reached. There is a weird superstition concerning the moving of this relic.

Near by is the ruined chapel, erected about the middle of the thirteenth century. It was dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and in olden times must have blazed with gorgeous colours. The roof has fallen; little remains of its former beauty save the lancet windows. The double piscina and the sedilia are still in fair preservation, and we are shown the round holes in the stonework once filled with the pegs of the canons' oaken seats... Continue reading book >>




eBook Downloads
ePUB eBook
• iBooks for iPhone and iPad
• Nook
• Sony Reader
Kindle eBook
• Mobi file format for Kindle
Read eBook
• Load eBook in browser
Text File eBook
• Computers
• Windows
• Mac

Review this book



Popular Genres
More Genres
Languages
Paid Books